J Visas

A J-1 Visa is an educational and cultural exchange program visa. The visa is part of the U.S. Department of State and the Exchange Visitor Program and Designation Staff. The exchange program promotes the exchange of knowledge and skills in the areas of education, arts, and sciences. The J-1 Visa is useful for people in the following areas:

  • College and University students
  • Government visitors
  • Professors, research scholars, and teachers
  • Au Pairs
  • Camp counselors
  • Summer work travel
  • Flight training
  • Physicians

Children and spouses of those entering with a J-1 visa may obtain a J-2 visa. J-2 visa holders may apply for work permits and may also attend school in the U.S.

Applicants for J-1 and J-2 visas must first obtain a special form that is approved by the Department of State. This form, called a SEVIS Form DS-2019 is issued and approved for participation as exchange visitors. A form must be obtained for each visitor, including the spouse and children.

An immigration attorney will assist you in determining if this is the correct type of visa for you and your family. Your attorney will also help you obtain and submit the forms required in order to obtain a J-1 or J-2 visa in the United States.